View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
He has a therapist and takes medication and qualifies as an IEP student though he does not outright take any real special education classes except for a study skills class because he is not really learning deficient. He is capable. It is hard to explain.
Hi,
You don't need to explain all the details here.
But the Special Ed accommodations are not always about how capable he is. They have to do with what he NEEDS to be successful.
Public schools hate making accommodations and often need to be pushed.
If you don't know what accommodations would help him, ask the therapist. Then get an advocate (most communities have them but I don't know how to find them except to start with nami) or a lawyer. You probably have local contacts who can help you navigate the school system.

A friend of mine has a daughter who was unsuccessful in school. She annoyed the teachers and hung out with students who were on there way to failing. He got her out in her junior year via the GED and she signed up for a few classes at the community college. She did not do well there either, but now she is a community college drop out instead of a hs drop out -- if that makes any sense.

I have cousin who could not face hs. Absolutely could not face it. His parents were spending a fortune on a private school and he stayed up all night and slept all day. They felt that there was nothing that they could do -- they had him in therapy and so on.
Finally, they withdrew him from the expensive school and then put him in the neighborhood public school. He is doing great now. This school works for him.

A niece of mine was an all around miserable person with various diagnoses that changed over the years. Finally, the parents put her in special ed for the whole day. She is doing well and is happier at home too.

Here is a link about online schools in Michigan:
http://distancelearn.about.com/od/on...iganOnline.htm

It looks like they have several schools.

After he gets treatment for his ulcer he will feel better.

How about his other meds? How does the pdoc treat the anxiety?

Mari