Thread: mean people
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 03:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy The Sqeeze is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
How large is the company? Is there a human resources dept?
Can you talk privately & confidentially with your boss about this?

they could be just rude people or they might be trying to squeeze you out...

I'd be sure the boss or HR dept, has the relevant medical info needed and is kept up to date with your problems getting dx'd, unless he is untrustworthy??

If it feels like you are getting singled out because of your illness you might need to contact someone or read up on discrimination, to see if it that applies and who to contact about it.
Thanks for your reply Jo. I do think I am being singled out b/c of my illness. Unfortunately we're a very small office - about 30 people- and the offenders ARE the closest thing to an HR we have. I have kept them very much in the loop from the day I was sent home in a car and then ended up in the ER a week later til now. I've read about the Harassment part of the Disability Act but don't know how to prove that 1. I am being singled out b/c of my illness, 2. that I can do my job well and 3. that what they are doing legally constitutes a Hostile Work Environment. For now all I can do is respond to everything the most professional way I know how and keep documenting. The fact that the higher ups are copied on these e-mails definitely gives the impression that if they don't intercede then they must be ok with it. I just don't know how to stay sane while dealing with this and trying to get diagnosed. The stress is incredible. My BF's solution is to look for something new but I don't know that I can afford to change benefits right now. I've gone back to my Psychiatrist to talk but I only have 12 visits per year. My ex-employer is an attorney and her perspective lies in NY being an at-will state but I don't know if that applies if they are firing you b/c you are sick or not. Any idea?

Last edited by dizzie lizzy; 07-01-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added info