View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Rachel,

I have had a history of heart racing type problems. It started when I was 20. I took digoxin for years, but now I don't need to take it. My magnesium supplementation seems to help with that, along with just taking better care of myself in general. I would suggest consulting with a cardiologist just to cover all your bases. There are so many things it could be. I'm sure you got checked out for high blood pressure? A friend of mine had high blood pressure at age 21 because of the stress of working 80 hours a week, and he blacked out. When you are feeling like blacking out, check your blood pressure. Some stores have free blood pressure machines if you don't have one yourself.

I got a heart monitor when I was 20 (I was freaked at that young an age), and was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia, which is a fancy way of saying my heart beats fast! I have also been diagnosed and undiagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, so I don't know if I actually have that or not. When I was in graduate school at about age 26, I saw a cardiologist for heart palpitations. I was already taking digoxin, and he didn't want to put me on any stronger medication because I was so young and the side effects of beta blockers. He told me to eat right, get enough sleep, and exercise in moderation. I was kinda mad at him because I thought it was something else, but really, it was sound advice. I was under a lot of stress in graduate school.

Stress can induce heart racing problems. When I have had periods of heart racing, I have seen my chiropractor, and I think he usually suggested I take some supplements, B vitamins and/or zinc, but I'm sorry, I can't exactly remember which. I just remember that everytime I took the supplements he prescribed, I felt better. It could be a nutrient deficiency induced by stress.

One thing I have learned with my most recent digestive problems is that eating home cooked meals without processed foods is best. There are so many additives in processed foods/takeout foods that the body can react to. When I first read your post, MSG came to mind. Do you know if that is a problem for you? I'm not sure about other foods causing heart racing.

I don't know about your germ theory. I thought my recent digestive problems was from a parasite or bacteria, but now I'm thinking it's from leaky gut from all the foods I tested sensitive to. I feel better after eliminating those foods, but obviously, I need to get to the bottom of the cause of the leaky gut.

I know that in Chinese medicine, a racing heart is a symptom of something treatable. Since I don't entirely understand Chinese medicine, I wouldn't be able to explain it, but it would be another path of healing if you so chose. I hope you figure it out soon.

Claire
diamondheart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote