View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink mornin'

I hope Maxie is okay this morning.

If you decide to keep her, you'll need a cage.
Also you'll need to do canned dog food for the daily fare.

Dog food has vitamins and minerals in it.. which the birds
need.

I went to a bird sanctuary many years ago...in Maine on vacation.
The guide there was feeding blue jays, the dog food.
A finch type bird, with a heavy beak for seeds, needs
seed food. (very young birds get bread dipped in milk)
I see the sparrows here using our suet feeder that has seeds mixed into the suet. I could not find plain suet this season in the grocery so I was forced to by the mixed commercial type.
I have never had sparrows go for it before. So they like the seeds mixed with fat.

Up North we see song sparrows (they are nicer, and larger) eating the young grasshoppers on the shore.

I am going to check my bird book for you today, and see if I can find your bird more exactly.
So far skimming my Nat Geo Field Guide I see tons of yellowish warblers! (with range maps to Utah)

Remember juveniles do not always look like the the parents yet.
If you can get a picture, it would help me. My reference shows the juveniles.

Today will be searching for the parents. After feeding Maxie take her out to where you found her
and put her high up where you can reach and see if she can call the parents. If she weakens, then they have moved on. And then you will have to decide if you can keep her. Or take her to a shelter if you do not want that responsibility.

Also... your bird eats every 15-20 minutes in the wild. So you will be busy today!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 07-02-2008 at 08:15 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (07-02-2008)