View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 4 years on LDN

This July 4th will be my fourth year on 4.5mg of low dose naltrexone, LDN. Along with 600mg of Q10 and my mix of Sinemet and Mirapex which has not increased in dosage over that time period (dosage is still fairly low), I don't think my PD symptoms have worsened. Is it LDN that has "slowed?" my progression? I don't know but ten years from now, if I'm still well, maybe I can say yes.
Naltrexone at a low dose like 4.5mg should be very safe. My previous post here on naltrexone safety is for dosages around 300mg. The common use for naltrexone is addiction treatment starting at 50mg a day.
Also there appear to be many compounds like naloxone (naltrexone) that could be used to slow PD progression.
Ashley

http://www.aapsj.org/view.asp?art=aapsj080369
Abstract Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a debilitating movement disorder resulting from a progressive degeneration of the nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathway and depletion of neurotransmitter dopamine in the striatum. Molecular cloning studies have identified nearly a dozen genes or loci that are associated with small clusters of mostly early onset and genetic forms of PD. The etiology of the vast majority of PD cases remains unknown, and the precise molecular and biochemical processes governing the selective and progressive degeneration of the nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathway are poorly understood. Current drug therapies for PD are symptomatic and appear to bear little effect on the progressive neurodegenerative process. Studies of postmortem PD brains and various cellular and animal models of PD in the last 2 decades strongly suggest that the generation of pro-inflammatory and neurotoxic factors by the resident brain immune cells, microglia, plays a prominent role in mediating the progressive neurodegenerative process. This review discusses literature supporting the possibility of modulating the activity of microglia as a neuroprotective strategy for the treatment of PD.
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RLSmi (07-02-2008), ScottSuff (07-02-2008)