Thread: New to Effexor
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Koala....I am on effexor and have been for about 4 years or so maybe 5.
I went on it to help me stay sober. I was having alot of anxiety and was afraid I would handle it by drinking if I did not get it under control so I went to see my doctor.
He did not tell me about the difficulties I could have if I ever wanted to go off of it. He did not tell me I could also gain alot of weight(something that creats anxiety in me!)
I have to admit the effexor has worked...it sort of flatlined me....anxiety was nil. HOWEVER....
It has been over a year...I have struggled to get off of the meds...I have went from 112 mg a day down to 371/2mg per day. It has been very very difficult.
The side effects of withdrawl from effexor have been tremendous....in my head...confusion....noises and alot of anxiety.
If I could go back and try something different I would in a heartbeat. It has been a very difficult road the last year while tapering off of it.
I would not go on it Koala...that is just my personal opinion from my own experience. Apparantly some people it works for but I would do more research.
I would hate to see you have to go thru the suffering of withdrawl.

LOVE DORRIE!!
dorrie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (07-02-2008)