Thread: mean people
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Being an At-Will Employee does indeed mean they can let you go at anytime for any reason. Even if a small mistake is made.

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerp...ds/faq.shtm#14

{snip}Q: Can an employee be fired without due cause?

A: Yes. New York State is an "employment-at-will," state. Without a contract restricting termination (such as a collective bargaining agreement) an employer has the right to discharge an employee at any time for any reason. This also protects the employee's right to resign. An employer may fire an employee for "no reason" - or even for a reason that might seem arbitrary and unfair -- and the employee is equally free to quit at any time without being required to explain or defend that decision.

There are a few exceptions to "employment-at-will." The most significant of these are laws, enforced by the New York State Division of Human Rights, which prohibit discrimination based upon race, creed, national origin, age, handicap, gender, sexual orientation or marital status. For additional information about how the New York State Division of Human Rights proceeds against unlawful forms of discrimination, go to:

www.nysdhr.com. {end snip}

fyi-I googled Department of Labor At-Will Employment and found this link about NY state...the DOL is a great resource for ALL employement questions such as this. I used to work for the MA dept unemployment....these questions of termination always came up...MA is atwill, too! Now being 'let-go' can often qualify you for benefits...so I'd recommend contacting your unemployment office the second you are let go, if you are let go! {unless it's the end of the week, then wait til monday }

Best of Luck. You are right, it's Unfair!!!

"Thanks for this!" says:
dizzie lizzy (07-02-2008)