View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink about 6 years ago...

my son used to come up North with me and we'd stay for 3 mons. (I can't really handle the island alone--or the boat).

So one late June, we were lying in the twin beds and talking/reading one afternoon. The beds are perpendicular and my head faced his along the wall, and I could see out his window. There was this motion flitting around up in the trees there.

I put on my glasses, and noticed it was a hummingbird. So we got excited, and got the binos, and went out there. Turns out
she made a nest in the cedar...it was about15-20ft up on a curving branch hanging from the bottom of the tree.
We had several feeders at the time for many years and I guess she decided to nest by us.

We watched this whole thing, but of course could not see the eggs. I didn't have a zoom digital camera like I do now, back then. We were still doing college, and were not spending money on ourselves.

The mother was very alert, and chased the little red squirrels anytime they used that tree. Once the eggs hatched, we could see two chicks sitting in it with their beaks held high, like swords in the air! LOL While the mother would sit on the eggs and let us watch, she would not feed or come to the nest if we were outside watching once the eggs hatched. She went to higher branches and watched US. The babes developed quickly, and started coming to our feeders.

The next season the nest remained unused. So my husband climbed up there with a pole pruner and cut it down for me to have. I still have the little tiny thing on display in the cabin.

Even tho we couldn't see much, it was still very exciting to me.
I just LOVE hummers. I have now held one in my hand (they weigh as much as a penny) and felt its little heart beating, and fed it off my finger. Touched by a hummingbird tongue...a once in a lifetime event! Their little feet are sooo tiny with little itty bitty claws on the end of the toes!

So I know how you feel... get those pictures...you'll treasure them forever!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (07-02-2008)