View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum River View Post
Okay, just spoke with my Dr. at Mayo.

The next step is to try 200mg Tegretol (Carbamazepine) in addition to the 3000mg Gapapentin (Neurontin).

Additional lethargic side effects, here I come!

Tegretol is the classic drug for TN. It helps the majority of sufferers from it. I tried it, but it made me too tired. I do respond strongly to meds though, so I am not a good one to go by! Many patients do just fine with it for treatment of TN and seizures. Good luck! Hope it works. I have my fingers crossed for you. Just be positive going in.....if you plan on the side effects, you will have them! The mind is a powerful thing! I have treated many patients on these meds (I am a paramedic) and I always ask them how the meds make them feel (in a professional way, of course, as part of their "history". Very easy to ask, "Do you have any noticeable side effects from your meds?" Always looking for first hand info! My doctor and I normally share what I discover.... Just anecdotal info for him, but this stuff is always interesting in medicine.) Most of the patients say that they get used to it and learn to deal with it.
Firemedic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote