View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 9 year old and anxiety/tics

My 9 year old ds has always been anxious. On and off anxiety regarding just about everything. You name it, it's probably been an issue. We started seeing simple facial motor tics a few months ago. His anxiety is very distressing to him and we also started therapy 2 months ago but I'm really not seeing it help.
I'm just looking for support here. Someone who's BTDT and who has gotten their child through it or they themselves have overcome it. His therapist says his(ds's) anxiety is bordering on OCD. I'm guessing it IS OCD but he just doesn't want to throw that at us yet.
Right now he's worried about us leaving him at children's church and not picking him up. We go to a huge church of over 10K members so the kids service is quite chaotic. He has been having anticipatory anxiety about this weekend's church service for days now. He cries about 3 times a day about it. We've been trying all the CBT stuff the therapist says to try but it's really not working. I mean, I guess it works for the moment but it always comes back. We have him on some supplements like B6, taurine, and amino acids to help. I think they've helped with some of the OCD type anxiety but not with this kind of anxiety yet.
Anyway, I'm at my wits end. I just don't know how I'm going to get through another 10 years of an anxious child! I wish he had the cognitive development to at least be able to apply some of what he's learning in therapy. He just hasn't learned how to redirect himself yet. He wallows in the anxiety and lets it take over his mind and just cries about it, instead of talking himself through it or redirecting himself. Obviously, we cue him to do these things but it's really draining on all of us!

Any suggestions??? many thanks!