View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 PM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post

You might have to take the 'puter to someone for removal if it can't be done on your end. I wouldn't continue using a computer with a known trojan. Not only is it a known security risk, it can also compromise files, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
and if is networked with other computers disconnect it from them.
those two statements I agree with whole heartedly...

trojans are so powerful these days that they do more danger than viruses, IMHO. And they are known to embed so well that if you get rid of them, you would want to run the anti-spy/malware again just to make sure it didn't embed itself again.

Usually what I do for a client is the basics, although I must say that every puter has its own mind and each has to altered a little bit for some odd reason.

Basically, these are the steps when it comes to trojans.

1) If your DD is using any P2P program, uninstall it immediately. More than likely, she got the trojan that way. Most well known P2P programs are "Limewire" "Kazaa and it's offsprings", "ares"

maybe ask her.

2) There should ONLY be ONE anti-virus software. But there should always be MORE than one anti-spy software. Not ONE anti-spyware catches everything. A combination of them helps to catch most of spycrap. But new ones are created almost every hour/day so the spywares are created faster than they can catch them.

On top of that, Malware/greywares are on the rise.

3) If you can log in to safe mode via networking, download the anti-spywares and then do an immediate update. After that, unplug from the internet. Now run the software in safe mode and let it catch everything that it can, delete them all, restart back in safe mode, run the next one, same thing, until you've run them all.

4) run a hijack this file. You can take that file to Castlecop or other volunteer forums that offer FREE service that will help you. I can look at it for you here if you'd like.

5) If you are able to catch them all, update all the anti-spywares again and run them in safe mode again. Making sure that you've caught them all.

6) boot back into regular mode, run them in regular mode and see if they catch anything.

And make sure you run it to all your external drives such as USB sticks and external hardrives that you have informations stored.

whew...yes, it's a long an arduous job but not that hard when you think about your passwords, personal info, even bank account can be compromised somewhere in Russia(for some reason, a lot of the spywares come from Russia because their gov't don't have strict regulations against hackers/spyware people) and they are using your hard earn money as rupies. LOL

If you feel like you can't fix it. Take it to someone that can. It is worth the money vs losing thousands of dollars and compromising everything in your computer.

"you're entering, the

zone..."

Last edited by who moi; 07-03-2008 at 09:08 PM.
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (07-03-2008)