View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help SI Joint dysfunction and back pain

Hello,

I'm new--found this site "by accident!" (?)

I am scheduled for a fusion of my SI joints the end of this mo. (about 2 weeks). It' s interesting to see the posts by you people.

I'm going at it "by the back door." Can't go into it now but I am a recipient of
multiple spinal fusions---last a redo of entire lumbar spine 8 years ago. Pain returned 3 years ago after a heft fall down a dark stair landing with hand pointed into the abyss and not touchintg 6 steps but landing on both knees!
WOW.

Having had so many surgeries and being older, I thought my pain was due to past work, and my hyperelastic problems. I put up with it till pain ran down both legs and getting electrical shocks in one leg. The odyssey was long as I am so complicated now. After many tests and seeing mystified drs., disinterested MD's, and finally finding one that is a digger "of the truth."All is now verified. It turns out that one vertebae (of 14 fused) Is a 'non-union' and needs re-fusion--PLUS I have 2 inflamed SI joints so will have it all taken care of at once. I've had chronic pain for over 32 years but function quite well till now. Being in a family of long liv-ers. I though I have to continue to fight. I decided that if I made it through so many times before, I can handle this, too!

My retired MD husband and I did much research, read pros and cons and decided this was the most permanent chance for a recovery as shots poop out, rhyzotomies can work but also may need to be re-done in a couple years as well. The tricky thing with the latter is to "disengage"(cut/burn) only the sensory nerves and not motor nerves which means legs won't work too well!
So, one has to weigh if the surgery (permanent but 6 mos recovery) or other modes to help is what you wish to try. I've lost so many years by having my spine treated conservatively--to the point I was constantly in surgery and braces. I need to get on with my life and enjoy. (One time in my life I had one fusion each year for 6 years due to a couple "boo-boos" by nationally competent men. Much life doing nothing but trying to recover!

It behooves those who are contemplating SI joint surgery that they have their lower spine well-studied to see if any lumbar disc area is feeding into it--as then one might have only partial help--while there may be something else lurking. YOu may wish to talk to your doctor about this!

Cheers to any and all who are our "joint brethren!" Jetty
Jetty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote