View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Having Problems Sticking w/Pain Med Schedule

I've been prescribed pain meds for so long you would think I would have this problem licked by now.

My back is SO broken and the meds really do help SO much that I find myself taking them earlier then supposed to or, I run out early every month of my break through meds.

I definitely don't think I am under prescribed at all and I do believe it's a mental thing.

When you've been prescribed pain meds for so long, there is no "high" associated with them any more. Like I tell my doc, I exist in a binary state. Either I am in terrible pain and my functionability is extremely low without the meds. With the meds I can get pretty close to how a normal person feels......normal.

I know for a fact that I do NOT have an addictive personality cause I've had plenty of chances to develop addictions over the years. I dated a beautiful girl that smoked so, consequentially I smoked while with her. That lasted for a year and after we broke up, I never picked up a cigarette again.

I drank like a fish all through my 20's and now in my 30's I might drink a 6-pack in a 3 month period....MAYBE.

I smoked a ton of pot in my 20's and it was totally understood that I was going to be a lifelong pot smoker. People older than me said it was gonna happen and I never believed them but, sure enough the "paranoid" thing happened to me too. Obviously it doesn't happen to everyone but I've heard a lot of people say that when they hit their 30's, pot always made them very paranoid. Haven't smoked in years.

Closest thing I ever got to being addicted to anything was probably sex. I was in my early 20's and hooking up with beautiful, I mean beautiful girls often and the sex was incredible. I learned the hard way that it wasn't going to last forever.

Anyway, back to my pain medication. In the beginning I stuck to my schedule fine. A year afterwards I'd say I started come up short at the end of the month. It's weird cause I think it's totally mental cause the meds can only do so much. I don't know how many times I went thru the trouble to take more of my meds and sitting there saying to myself, "this didn't really help me much at all". Like I mentioned previously, I don't associate my meds ever with "getting high" cause with my broken back, it's like I can't feel that way....you know??

The only way I've found to successfully take my meds exactly when I am supposed to is to give my filled up monthly pill dispenser to my dad. He locks them up in his safe and gives me a day's worth of meds at a time.

With my physical situation getting worse every year AND tolerance, I am prescribed a higher dose of meds then when I first started years ago.

I appreciate the time it took for you to read my long *** post so here is the question. Are there any tricks or things you might do........or tricks/things other people you know might do, to make sure you take your meds exactly like you are supposed to????

There's no high associated with my meds and when I take extra I really don't feel like it physically helped me. I hate to admit it but I think it's really mental. I've been into this for a long, long time so I don't think I am over or under prescribed. I hate bothering my father and want to tackle this problem on my own. Well, with your help too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
NJPain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote