View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrik View Post

Again, I do medical transcription from home. For me, it is not necessarily lucrative as I can't sit for any length of time (some days only 10 min at a time and then I have to get up). However, I have friends that are also in the field who are doing quite well. There is training involved.

Medical record coding is another option. This is applying codes to information in a medical record for billing purposes and to maximize the $$ on the bill to the insurance. Training is involved as it's pretty detailed work and you need to know all the codes. More and more physician's offices, clinics, and hospitals are having people do this from home. It is an upcoming trend and at this point, there are very few good coders out there.
I am wondering as a nurse who has only just retired so still up with all the jargon, whether I would be able to do transcribing for similar companies to those you work for, even though I live in Oz. The language differences would not be a problem as I only have to reprogram my spell check from British to American English.

Medical record coding is another option for me, as I have done a little of it in the past 2 years, so again still up with current stuff. My problem would be the difference in codes from one country to another.

How would I find out the names of comanies that take on transcribers etc? Is anyone willing to share...(by PM if necessary)?

I'm not prepared to wager any more of the money we have in our retirement fund on the stock exchange Moi. We did float DH's retirement funds and lost many thousands, so my retirement funds are all that we have now.

Already in the past few months the stock exchange has taken a nose dive, so my money has also depreciated rather rapidly. To gamble more now would be stupid.

I'm still looking for something I can do from home, and the computer seems to be my best option.

Any and all information would be gracefully received.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote