View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Go to the National MS Society's main site and use their search engine about bladder problems, urologists, MS medications, constipation, etc.

I have extreme constipation... I drink Citrucel daily (doesn't cause gas--cheapest found at Wal-Mart), Miralax at night (cheapest found at Wal-Mart if you cannot get it by prescription), generic softeners (cheapest I've found are at Wal-Mart) and too must now take softeners w/stimulants (again, Wal-Mart).

I drink plenty of water, eat a high fiber diet (prunes do wonders), salad for lunch, Cascadian Farm cinnamon raisin granola for breakfast (tastes wonderful). At night I eat 9 sticks black licorice (made in the USA; bought at Giant Eagle grocery store--doesn't increase your bp). Plenty of fruits...veggies in my dinner meal.

I wasn't getting hungry and my family doctor order a gastric emptying study test; you go in early and eat scrambled eggs and a half piece of toast if memory serves me correctly and they take pictures of how fast your stomach empties. I digest food slowly and was put on 10 mg Reglan 4 x daily to help my stomach and intestinal muscles work properly; stimulates them. Too helps some with constipation.

Now that I have my constipation 'somewhat' under control I could cancel my urologist's appointment

Too, I used to take twice yearly a gallon jug of colonoscopy solution to clean out. You cannot do it more often than that because it can affect your potassium levels. But last time I did that it was disasterous...

Years ago I saw a proctologist who found sometimes my intestinal muscles work in reverse and too I have little sphincter muscles.

Wishing you the best...take care.

Last edited by 0357; 07-04-2008 at 10:15 PM.
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
the Bird (07-07-2008)