View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What differentiates when a person is an alcoholic? A very dear friend of mine whom is an alcoholic said: When drinking becomes needing rather than wanting.

I felt she summed it up pretty well. I have taken drinks before, I also grew up with a father that was a 'weekend' alcoholic, most of my uncles were alcoholics, one I never saw sober. When I went out with friends, I didn't have a problem not drinking...I was the designated because I was the non drinker. Because of growing up with alcoholics, I refused to have more than two drinks.

Then my mom got cancer, I went on a binge for about two months, twice a week, mostly on weekends. I realized this was not an answer, I stopped...I will have a glass of wine, until last month it was over 5 years that I drank anything at all. The occasion for the last month glass of wine...a celebration...

My father put it rather plainly once...If you like drinking, don't do it!!
I have seen what it does to people, friends and family. MelodyL, I think your friends need some serious counseling, and I hope things work out for them.

You people that have been sober, even for 7 days...

HOORAY!!!! HOORAH!!! Remember you have people on your side!!!

My DH will not admit it, but he is an alcoholic...he drinks every day and as soon as he gets off work.
"Thanks for this!" says:
dorrie (07-04-2008), GladysD (07-05-2008)