Thread: Allergic
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 05:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There are several other anti nausea meds that no one has mentioned so far. The ones I am thinking of right now are Phenergan and Zofran. Phenergan has been around for ages; but Zofran is some what new. Anyway, I learned about Zofran a few years ago when I was given it in the ER for nausea and it has been my life savor (in terms of being one of the best drugs to help my nausea). It comes in 3 forms; 2 of which are NOT IV or shots, hence they don't require an ER visit---a doctor can prescribe it in other forms.

Another thing you might want to consider HOW they are administered. In the ER and a hospital setting, most of the time meds are given via an IV and/or injections. IV and injection forms typically work much faster, don't require the ability to keep the med down when you are vomiting; and because of the slight differences in the in active ingredients, the side effects can vary too. For example, I've had all 3 versions of Zofran-- IV, pill form and the ODT form (you put it on your tongue and it disolves-- no swallowin required); and for me, "why" and which version I use depends on the situation. If I am in the hospital, I always get the IV version; if I am about to take a medicine known to cause nausea/stomache upset (such as some of the pain meds I was given following a recent surgery) I take the pill form and when I am already nauseas, unable to keep anything down and need something easy and quick, its the ODT version. As for phenergan, I do use it occasionally, but due to side effects I can only take 2 forms of it or I get sick and have some nasty side effects.

Good Luck in finding something that works for you and I hope things ease up and you feel better soon !

L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote