View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Dear Nate, welcome home soldier. My husband was a member of the 101st and still has flashbacks from Panama. Listen, I know it's hard but you do need to seek help. This does sound like PTSD. The VA is getting so much better in recognizing PTSD. I don't know where your from but check around at your local VA or military facility and find out if it's a good hospital. If not, seek someone in the civilian arena. You have given us freedom, now it's your time to be free from your anguish. I am so sorry your affected by this but it is a normal response considering what you have been through.

If you don't feel comfortable seeking help through the VA or military, try your local church or spiritual advisor. This is what my husband did and it helped him greatly. He went through so much guilt over what he had to do and it took years before he could admit his part in what happened. Jim found peace with a Jewish chaplain at the VA who helped him understand that what happened was not his fault. He also helped him realize that bad things do happen in our world and being a soldier you follow commands even if they are hard. God understands this.

Hugs to you and your wife. I am sure your wife tries to understand but it is hard since she did not experience what you have. You need to be with others who have been there and can lean on each other. The chaplain Jim seen had experienced war and knew first hand what Jim was going through.
tamiloo (07-08-2008)