Thread: new member
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Cheryl,
I had a medical alert braclet when I was your daughters age and people didn't even notice it. Just like your daughter I have petit mal,cp ( had a few grand mal and staus sz. when I was on neurontin.)
I would be sure and get a letter in to the school from both you and your daughters neuro. to let them know what types of sz. she has along with the side effects if her meds. I work in public school and 4 students have sz. and the school nurse as well as the teachers didn't know what to do so I started a Epilepsy Workshop to help teach everyone what to do if someone has a sz.
When I was your daughters age it was a hard time for me because the hormones kept changing as I grew into a young lady and this caused me to have many more sz. I also found out that drinking anything with nutra sweet (aspartame) caused more electrical activity in the brain leading to more sz. for me. You might want to keep a calendar and write down the time your daughter has any sz. along with a description of the sz. this will help the Dr. and they may see a pattern as to what time of day/night or what days of the month your daughter has any sz.
I had a lot of tests done before I had brain surgery twice to help reduce my sz. but the tests didn't show a lot of the brain damage because it was so deep in my brain they only found damage on the RTL where they did surgery. I've also found taking vitamin B12 once a day a great help reducing my sz.
Sorry for carrying on so long. Here's wishing your daughter and you the best of luck. May God Bless You Both!

Sue www.epilepsy.com

Last edited by Porkette; 09-04-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote