View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Tippy has a swollen gum on one side...

but the teeth themselves are sturdy.

When she was younger she had them cleaned...but I looked this up and it appears that this periodontal thing is not really treatable.

My vet gave me Clavamox (to use for 10 days)--this is the same as Augmentin for humans... We used it once 4 yrs ago when she had her last cleaning.

Now that she is 15, the vet doesn't want to use anesthetic.
She had no tartar. Just the erosion of the enamel.

We think Tippy's problem is genetic. I have never had a cat with this before.

You could ask if trying the Clavamox would be an option.
Tippy's teeth are not loose, however, but if your cat's are
then pulling might be necessary. Vets charge a FORTUNE these days! And as the cat ages, they can die from the anesthetic! So far our vet has not suggested pulling the teeth.

From now on we have to warm her food. She is too sensitive for things out of the frig. Also she seems to want oily stuff.
So I fooled her and ground the Clavamox into some tuna with canola oil, and she snarfed it right down. I didn't want to touch her mouth and perhaps make her jaw there hurt more, trying to pill her.

She does eat kibble, but refuses hard treats. I've always given her soft ones. All 3 of our cats eat the same stuff, so I don't know why Tippy has this issue?

One sign of pain also is watering eyes.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-05-2008)