View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Koala - I'll do some checking for you to find out which companies outsource to those overseas. I know there are a few and the 1st one that comes to mind is MedQuist but I haven't checked in to them in a while and don't know if they do anything overseas. Also, try googling "transcription services in Australia." You will get all sorts of companies coming up. Check some of them out.

Interestingly, the transcribing software that we use is made by a company in Australia. The download was free as are the updates. I also purchase my equipment from them and they have great products.

Since you have done some coding before as well as being in the health care industry for so long it will be easier for you to get in to. Talk with people you used to work with as well as small physician's offices in your area. Let them know your expertise. Working in the field previously really helps. I am sure you have developed relationships with many of the doctors and their staff in your area (or at least nearby). It is a great way to start networking and get a feel for what is out there.

Most hospitals in the states, require one to work at their facility for at least 6 months to a year before allowing them to start working from home. I am not sure if that would be the same in Australia but it is something that you would need to think about 1st.

Transcribing for dr offices is far easier than hospitals. Working for the hospitals, they prioritize the reports and you never know what you are going to get. You can't specialize as you can working for private facilities such as clinics, dr offices, even vets. For me, I did general work for a bit and have since "specialized" in orthopedics and rehabilitation. I love it! To think that ER nursing was the thing for me years ago and now I really love the ortho/rehab stuff.

What type of nursing did you do and are you still interested in that area? If so, go for it. Typing things that are interesting to you makes a huge difference. Place networking calls to those specialities and just see what happens.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (07-05-2008)