View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

(((Earl))) Oh man, I hear you loud and clear! Being a single mom, unable to work, trying to make it on SSDI and the little I make from working at home I too get sick of just barely making it and/or not making it.

Additionally, to get any sort of help from the state even in an emergency, you have to be completely destitute before they will help. Before I got SSDI, I was trying to support the three of us on around $800 a month. Thank goodness for food stamps. However, it was really difficult as $800 a month took care of utilities and rent. There were no extras. I called to see if I could get family assistance. Well, guess what I could but they would take the girls child support (which isn't regular) and give me less per month! I talked to one of the supervisors at DES and he told me that I would be worse off taking the assistance.

Have you applied for SSDI or SSI? How about any other programs available? PM me if you want info on some of the programs. I learned a lot yet, I don't know how to work the system like some do. I am willing to share what I have learned based on my experiences.

Did your wife ever go to the State Vocational Rehabilitation office? Like I mentioned in the thread regarding this, they have a great program and it is worth checking in to. They help financially while you are going to retraining and such as well as pay for the retraining.

I am sorry to hear about your dog and will pray for a miracle as well.

Hang in there!
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (07-06-2008)