View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealist View Post
According to the many doctors I've seen, the pills work twice as well when used as a pain-preventer rather than a pain-killer. It's a whole lot easier to prevent pain than to treat it. That's because most pain meds work by blocking pain receptors in the brain. If you block them sooner, there are less of them to accept the pain signal. If you wait until most of them are already agitated, it makes it much harder for the pain meds to work.
I agree.

I guess what I mean, as time wears on, and the chronic situation becomes daily life...I have a suffering point. Like when I can't move. If I was allowed to have what I need, I'd take them more often. If I had what I needed, I wouldn't have to break them in half and get half the relief. When the pain is insufferable, I take a cocktail until I get to a state of just okay and functional. When I am at my best I try not to take as much to save for those times I need them more.

Basically, I'm in the same boat as all of you. I need more but since I can't get more, I have to figure out a way to get through the month. I don't stress about it until the end of the month when I'm down to a few. Then they are like gold and I'm choosy about when to take them. It's these times I take more of the zaneflex and anti-inflammatories hoping the days pass quickly.

The bottom line is that doctors are **** about the medications. Vicodin has not ruined my life and put me in a state of addiction. It's given me the ability to get on with my life. Doctors don't understand this. They think we want the high (what high?) and don't consider the beifits.

Remember when hospitals started using a button for morphene so the patient could deliver medications as they needed? Seems to me they found that the patient did not take more in the long run. Just less more often. I guess that's what I try to do.....

Wisdom to the soul is what health is to the body
sugarboo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote