15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
are feeding the other young, there is a chance to reintroduce
these.

But once the parents stop (this is hormonally driven) feeding
then you are not likely to get them back together.

There are birds that are hatched that are equipped less to survive.
Of the 4 I did one was a "runt" and remained so, even with extra food and attention. He did not survive being set free either. I found him dead the next day.

So some are just not strong enough, and maybe that is why you found Maxie. I have also seen young hummingbirds that act tame and stupid at the feeder and I have seen other hummers really pick on those and attack them mercilessly.

So prepare yourself... we cannot reverse a natural weakness.

Maxie has always been the most active of the two birdies while inside the house, but once outside they reversed roles. They are still outside on a bush right now. When I go to feed them, Donna still tries to peck the toothpick, but doesn't get much inside her beak.

Maxie willingly opens her mouth for free food. But she is very quiet and lethargic compared to Donna. I think she is the true runt and her sibling just had a bit of bad luck in the wind yesterday.

I've heard there is a new animal sanctuary just a mile from my house. If I can reach the managers, I think I may be need a "Going Out of Business" shingle very soon!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote