Thread: Update on Jim
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Ok, the urologist called this afternoon. A Sunday, can you believe that? He thinks we should just let things remain as they are. He said he does not want to treat Jim every time he has bacteria in his bladder because with a stoma made out of intestines, he will always have some type of bacteria. He said by no means does this mean he's giving up. He said Jim's condition is very serious and he concurs with all the other doctors that resistance to antibiotics is the concern.

The idea of flushing with antibiotics is still on the back burner but not right now. Infectious Disease said they don't really like to do that because of resistance at the source and if they do it would only be for six months or less. Also on the back burner is theraputic antibiotics, but again, the fear of resistance is a concern to all of the doctors.

He said Jim's spinal cord doctor is amazing and has done a great job taking care of Jim. He plans to call him tomorrow to run over a few things. So, basically the VA was right on about Jim's bladder issues. This saddens me as I thought maybe there was something out there to make Jim better. On the other hand, I am relieved that the VA did do what was needed and no mistakes were made.

On a lighter note, we will continue to see this urologist and not the VA. He is much closer to where we live and this will be easier on Jim if he is ever admitted for a urology issue. Also he wants Jim to get a cystoscopy every year starting on the 10th year post surgery. He mentioned that sometimes, rarely, cancer can develop at the stoma site and he would like to keep an eye on Jim because of that.

So, that's it. Oh he did mention Jim's severe ms and how deciphering what is an urology issue and what is a ms issue remains a problem. Why does that still bother me after all these years when I hear it? To us Jim's ms is stable not severe. Oh well, I guess since we live with it everyday it doesn't seem severe.
barb02 (07-06-2008), FinLady (07-07-2008), Koala77 (07-06-2008), tkrik (07-06-2008), Twinkletoes (07-06-2008)