View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 06:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Trix,

That's wonderful news! Now comes the part that is up to you - being VERY patient and allowing your body time to heal. Nerves can take a long time to regenerate, but scar tissue can form quickly and more you do, more scar tissue may form.

For me, about 3-4 weeks out the post-op pain was mostly better and I felt more myself again, then shortly after the nerves that had been trapped for so long came roaring back to life. It is painful until normal nerve activity is re-established, but this is normal, and WILL pass, we have referred to it here as the nerves "throwing a party" to celebrate their freedom.

Stretches and gentle ROM seem to be the most effective early post-op PT, then re-training the weak muscles to help with proper posture. I would question how knowledgeable any therapist is if they want to start you on any weight-bearing exercises until all nerve pain is absent. Victoria has the excellent Denver PT post-op therapy on the MS TOS-Pages, you can print this out and share it with your PT if desired.

Best wishes and many (((hugs)))), beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote