View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Breakfast at Twinkletoes'

Can you believe I'm up before the sun this morning? *yawn* The things I do fer da birdies...Lol!

I think I've figured out why Maxie has "baby fluff" on her head. I thought it was immaturity, and that she'd lose it. Wrong! As long as she has a stronger sibling around, it will always be there. It's the "pecking order." She gets pecked!!!

Donna is aptly named. As the Prima Donna she actually "edges" Maxie around the lip of the bowl/nest so she has the better position. That puts Maxie further away from the window and less likely to get the first breakfast bug from Mom and Dad! She uses her body weight --kind of leans in with her shoulder and pushes --to get Maxie to keep moving further away.

So I decided to put them in separate nests this morning. Now they are beak to beak, but about 2" apart. Neither can fly, so Donna just sits there and scolds poor Maxie! Even their songs are different: Donna's is more an insistent "check!" while Maxie just pleads "pleeease, pleeease."

The amazing thing is that before I opened the window this morning, Donna was docile and I had to pick her up and reassure her before placing her on the edge of the bowl. It was Maxie that was "up and attem" and ready for breakfast! Once I threw open the sash, they did a complete role reversal!

I'm just hoping that breakfast shows up soon. Trying to let nature take its course as much as possible.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (07-10-2008), Doody (07-07-2008)