View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default ortho extractions

Hi Twinkletoes,

Orthodontics are very complicated. Yes, sometimes they do still remove teeth if their is not enough room for all of them to fit properly in the mouth. However, I'll try to explain this in laymans terms for a clearer understanding........ The removal of a canine tooth may not always be the best thing to do because those teeth are considered the cornerstone of the arch and when they are removed, the support system for all of the other teeth is weakened. Some people do fairly well without these teeth, but many do not.

Sometimes, depending on the individual case, the second premolars are removed and the other teeth are brought into alignment. These teeth are not as significant to the overall stability of the mouth as the canines are.

I think it is important to seek at least 2-3 ortho consultations before doing any dental treatment. You will find that you will probably get varying opinions but it's an education process to help decide what is best for your grandson.

I hope this info was helpful........let me know if you have any other questions and how your grandson makes out!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
When I was around 9, the orthodontist removed my canine? teeth to make more room in my smallish mouth. My teeth then came in nice and straight and there was no need for braces.

Now my little grandson looks like he might benefit from the same procedure. Do they still perform this extraction as a preventative measure?

He lives in another state and I think his parents need to act immediately if it is to be done. But they are worried about $$$$, so are reluctant. I have him at my house for the next week, so maybe I could do something to help.

Thanks for any help/advise you can offer.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote