View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

I think kids are drawn to this virtual world because society has made the real world appear too frightening to them - way beyond a child's control. They also haven't equipped them with the courage and balance it takes to be able to walk with your head held high - without getting shot down. They haven't given them the tools needed to create a safe environment of their own that can sustain future generations.

There is also a large segment of society who thinks the world is about to come to an end. With an attitude like that, why bother trying to learn how to be grounded here on earth or learn what the real world is like? Why bother planning for grandchildren?

When my son was in junior high, I finally broke down and bought him a video game called "Goldeneye" (I think that was the name). At the time I felt he needed it because he was going through a particularly rough time in our neighborhood. It was a good way to get out all that frustration.

I learned how to play the game too, and we had fun "killing" each other. The little punk was so good, he'd slap me after he killed me. Then again, I had the upper hand - told him, "You DO want dinner tonight, don't you?"

I got him back though. While he was in school, I practiced the game. We played it together that evening, and I beat him good - then slapped him for good measure. He was so insulted.

After a while, he got tired of playing games with me and decided to head on out the door and give real life a shot. He knew if he needed to duke it out with someone, mom was at home waiting to take him on. It wasn't long before he lost interest in video games altogether.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote