View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 12:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I understand your feelings exactly. I had no idea that I was claustrophobic until I had my first brain MRI. I wanted to sit up so badly and the more that I knew I couldn't, the more I wanted to. My heart rate was over 150. Total panic attack.

My neuro gave me ativan to have at home. I can take the whole dose or just half before any scheduled MRI. I takes away my anxiety but I don't feel drowsy from it, especially if I take the half dose.

I have had so many MRI's that I find I no longer need to take the ativan as long as I never open my eyes. One tech told me that trick and it works great. The second I lie down on the table, I keep my eyes closed. I even keep them closed when they pull me out to give me contrast. Just never, ever open them even if you really feel the urge to peek.

The same tech told me to position my arms on top of my body chest so that I can't feel the sides of the tunnel. This is another great suggestion. I then start to think of a nice trip I have been on and then I am just fine. I always bring a friend with me in the MRI room and she sits and keeps her hand on my ankle. It is very comforting.

I don't know if any of these tips will help but I am sure others will have some good ideas too. Wishing you an easy MRI.
Pacifica is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (07-09-2008)