View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

((DM)) Actually, I am allergic to cats too. In order for this to work for us, I bust my butt everyday to eleminate all other allergens. I know I can't get them all but DDs and I dust everyday and vacuum everyday. It has really helped.

Remember Twink, this is why I do it! LOL. Twink thought I was OCD when I told her this on the phone. I then had to describe to her what was on my floor, what dishes I had on the counter, etc. LOL.

When he 1st came here I did ok for the first few days. Then I started worrying as there was no way I could give this very frightened kitten away. So I started our new daily routine. So far it is working and my allergies have improved. But, to be honest, I cannot hold Tux close to my face or have him just rest on my chest like he does DDs or my eyes will start watering and I'll start sneezing.

The air is so dry here that there is tons of dust. So what I have been doing before vacuuming is spraying a light mist of water on the carpet, let it sit for a minute, and then vacuum. That too has helped.

Sometimes you, as I am sure I have, get accustomed to the cats dander and start doing better. I have read that male cats are better for allergy sufferers as the enzyme is not as strong in males as females. It makes sense as the females need the extra enzymes to clean their babies.

Check online about ways that you can have a cat even though you have an allergy to them.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (07-08-2008), Kitty (07-09-2008), Twinkletoes (07-08-2008)