View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default I am so glad to read that you

were able to get the babes back to their parents.

This is the best way to insure that they learn how to find food
themselves!

We can always tell where our one cat is roaming (in the adjacent woods around us)... The birds make a specific sound
that we call the "bad cat" sound... like a TICK TICK. Also the Chickadees do a long call DEE DEE DEE.. up to nine times, as a warning. The blue jays do a screeeeeee screeech. And the cat bird (related to the robin) actually meows! That is why people named them cat birds. Cat birds are all gray but large like robins, so you rarely see them--they are in bushes alot. But we sure HEAR them!

I read a book once that said the long 9 DEE DEE call alerts other bird species. That they depend on the Chickadee to warn because the Chickadee is so quick and agile.
The Chickadees use our self watering dish up NOrth for their baths! The sun comes around about 3pm and warms the water and they all come and take a bath in it. Typically going DEE DEE DEE all the time. The cats are usually taking a nap then. We wondered for a long time why the water bottle was becoming empty in just one day...then we saw the reason!
The other reason was a HUGE toad who was climbing into the dish before dawn...taking a bath. I got a picture of this, so I will put it up here. I had just got this new digital camera (a first for us) and it takes pictures IN THE DARK.... my husband discovered this by accident, doing a bathroom visit, he decided to check the boat and the tie ups, and when he came back to the house (this watering dish is on the front steps) he saw the toad. It was about 4am. So we both tried to catch him and I finally did about a week later, and tried the camera. It worked! I was so excited, since I am not that great with cameras!...

So I set up another larger birdbath (the pic I put up with the warblers for you on the other thread), and that one is getting more action now. Between the mad chickadees and the toad that water would empty in ONE day! LOLOLOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 09-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (07-09-2008), Twinkletoes (07-09-2008)