View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 02:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think this is a great question and I'm hoping more of the "veteran" members of this forum will respond.

I understand what you mean about sports and the guitar, for example. I've played hockey since I was 3, and have played guitar and drums since I was young.

I had to quit playing hockey because I was just so sore and stiff for days after. But now that I feel better on my meds, I've been up on my inline skates with my gloves, stick, and a hockey ball just skating around. I'm also headed back onto the ice this week to see how I feel. My talent level is nowhere near it used to be but I think I have to at least try and play a little more while I can. I love it too much and it's been such a huge part of my life forever. (Thank God for the Center Ice package so I can at least enjoy watching games!)

I also play guitar (I have a 6 and a 12 string) and have been frustrated with holding the pick in my right hand, which is the one most affected right now, and getting the right and left hand to coordinate. But I keep trying and while my playing has definitely deteriorated, in my mind I still sound like Jimmy Page!

Steve said he was a drummer. About a year before being diagnosed, I had a Yamaha electronic drum kit in my house. When I would bring my right hand down to strike the high hat or a cymbal, the drumstick would be gone! I thought I had a grip on it but it kept slipping out of my hand. So I ended up selling the kit. I was afraid I'd poke my eye out! LOL!!

So far, I have no regrets or things I would change but then again, since I was officially diagnosed this past April, I'm still a newbie to all this. But the one piece of advice I received early on, and that I carry with me, is to keep living your life as fully as possible. And if there are things that we have to let go of, don't think of it as a loss but instead as an opportunity to try new things you might otherwise never thought of.

While it's true that many doors will close to us as we move along our journey, many other doors will open. The trick is to recognize that opportunity and walk through those doors. You never know where it will take you, but chances are it's someplace nice. And I'm willing to take that chance...

Todd
PDTalks.com

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote