View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

HI Christina

Thanks so much.

I have a close friend who drinks, but her son is full blown alcoholic. I've posted a story on these threads. I wanted to help them. I found out I cannot do this. They have to help themselves.

The 30 year old with the drinking problem was just released form the hospital with his 4 bout of Pancreatitis (this is where I go nuts and can't understand why a grown man who has Pancreatitis, and a bad liver, would come out and start drinking beer again). But after reading about the cravings, well I understand this mind set a bit better.

The other day, my friend (the mother of the alcoholic), called up AA and spoke to some people there and she arranged for 2 men to come to the house last night to do (not an intervention), but to explain to the 30 year old what AA is all about. (he has made it perfectly clear that he wants NO PART OF AA or any rehab).

But I gather she had to try one final time.

So she calls up the guys and the guy says "we are coming over at 6:30 p.m."

She asked me "should I tell my son?' I said 'cmon, get real, if you tell him, he'll leave the house"

Well she told him yesterday morning. She just said 'I know you don't want to hear this but I am having 2 guys from AA come and they want to speak to you about the program".

Well, he lost it, yelled at her, screamed and said; "I want no part of this" and left the house. He never came back last night, so she had to call up the guys and tell them "Thanks but no thank".

It's amazing what a parent will do to save their child. I find it absolutely amazing.

I understand about Mother Love and all that, but there has to come a time when one realizes "I cannot save this person, he has to want to be helped".

I do not think she has gotten to this point yet.

Oh well, it's a hard road.

Thanks to you all for sharing all the info on drug use. I really do understand the cravings much better now.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY