View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default L5/S1 Fusion.... or not?

Last year, I ruptured my L5/S1. 13 mm big or so. I had a micro-discectomy, and then PT, and for a while, I was more or less pain-free....except if I had to move or stretch too far. I wish someone would have told me that first.

At any rate, fast forward a few months after PT, and I'm in near-constant pain. Any time i do too much of anything (walking, sitting....whatever), I hurt pretty bad. I had a second MRI, that showed scar tissue buildup, and that's sure not helping things, but my new doctor (who has MUCH better bedside manner) says that my disc is so 'deflated', the disc itself may be touching my spine, especially with excess movement. While the scar tissue may not be THE problem, it is certainly exacerbating it.

He believes that the first course of action should be epidural steroid injuections and another round of PT. He thinks that building up the muscles around the damaged disc will stabilize it. I'm thinking that the first round of PT did help with pain in the short term, and the steroids might help it work better this time around, but I think it's only a temporary thing.

He says that afterwards, it PT doesn't work, a fusion is the best course of action. He says that if the surgery goes well, after rehab and PT, I will lose a minimal amount of flexibility, but will be otherwise TOTALLY over this injury. I can go horseback riding, or resume my job, which involves a LOT of bending/lifting/stooping.

Also, I'm only 30, and have no (family) history of stenosis.

What do the other doctors here think? What do the L5/S1 fusion patients here think? I'd really love to hear something from you.

Thanks much,

Justin
batfish55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Renee Hof (08-17-2012)