View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Who is your si surgeon?

Hi Jetty,
My name is Terra and I have been in such pain from both of my si joints. I'm struggling to find a doctor who can help me. Can you tell me who will be doing your surgery? I really am desperate to find some help.

Thanks!

Take good care!

Terra

QUOTE=Jetty;315370]Hello,

I'm new--found this site "by accident!" (?)

I am scheduled for a fusion of my SI joints the end of this mo. (about 2 weeks). It' s interesting to see the posts by you people.

I'm going at it "by the back door." Can't go into it now but I am a recipient of
multiple spinal fusions---last a redo of entire lumbar spine 8 years ago. Pain returned 3 years ago after a heft fall down a dark stair landing with hand pointed into the abyss and not touchintg 6 steps but landing on both knees!
WOW.

Having had so many surgeries and being older, I thought my pain was due to past work, and my hyperelastic problems. I put up with it till pain ran down both legs and getting electrical shocks in one leg. The odyssey was long as I am so complicated now. After many tests and seeing mystified drs., disinterested MD's, and finally finding one that is a digger "of the truth."All is now verified. It turns out that one vertebae (of 14 fused) Is a 'non-union' and needs re-fusion--PLUS I have 2 inflamed SI joints so will have it all taken care of at once. I've had chronic pain for over 32 years but function quite well till now. Being in a family of long liv-ers. I though I have to continue to fight. I decided that if I made it through so many times before, I can handle this, too!

My retired MD husband and I did much research, read pros and cons and decided this was the most permanent chance for a recovery as shots poop out, rhyzotomies can work but also may need to be re-done in a couple years as well. The tricky thing with the latter is to "disengage"(cut/burn) only the sensory nerves and not motor nerves which means legs won't work too well!
So, one has to weigh if the surgery (permanent but 6 mos recovery) or other modes to help is what you wish to try. I've lost so many years by having my spine treated conservatively--to the point I was constantly in surgery and braces. I need to get on with my life and enjoy. (One time in my life I had one fusion each year for 6 years due to a couple "boo-boos" by nationally competent men. Much life doing nothing but trying to recover!

It behooves those who are contemplating SI joint surgery that they have their lower spine well-studied to see if any lumbar disc area is feeding into it--as then one might have only partial help--while there may be something else lurking. YOu may wish to talk to your doctor about this!

Cheers to any and all who are our "joint brethren!" Jetty[/QUOTE]
laeds is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote