Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi.

I went to my local Radio Shack to inquire about the tv converter thing. I have a $40 coupon and I asked the guys who worked there "Come February, will this thing work and will I get a picture?" (I have a little tv not connected to cable, and it's in my computer room. I thought that come next February, I'd simply hook up the converter box, and VOILA, I'D GET A PICTURE.

He then asked me "Do you get a picture now?"

I said: "of course not, since the World Trade Center fell, no one gets a picture using a rabbit ears antenna". He said: "if you have that kind of antenna, you won't get a picture in February"

I said: "but the guy on tv says that if you have analog, the box will convert it into digital". And the guy said: "yes, but this has nothing to do with getting reception, you need a roof top antenna".

I still don't get ANY OF THIS.

Good Lord.
I think....
The converter box is used to convert the new digital "frequency" or "air waves" that the antenna picks up so the TV can display the channels.
Or it converts the antenna so it can pick up the new digital signals... one or the other.

Basically there was only so many of the old analog frequencies available and so many things are using them all up they decided to make the "over the air" broadcast channels into digital frequencies.

Do you remember when cordless phones were analog, and now most are digital?

but as the radio shack guy said - If you didn't get a picture with an antenna before- you won't get one after the change either.