View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Mel you are cracking me up.

I work in advertising so we are acutely aware of the impact of the switch to digital from analog.

It is expected that as of Feb 2009 that 20% of americans will not have switched and will not have TV.

It you do not have cable or direct tv (sat) you need to converter box. I believe its only 20 dollars or so.

Hooking up to the computer I do not know if you will get live TV . You can certainly watch TV on the computer but most of the shows are sligtly delayed from live TV.

Now mel you may be different. You live in a large city in a multiple dwelling I am guessing. So if you have cable the cable guy has something installed for the building and its not on the roof and they hook you into it when you sign up.

I believe most of NYC is cable and not satellite just because of all the buildings and its easier to run cable than have dishes everywhere. And if you have satellite the dish but face a certain way/exposure for you to get service. That can be tough in NYC unless the building as a whole gets satellite and its on the roof.

So here is what I know.

If you have direct TV now you are fine. Nothing to do for the switch from analog to digital. We have direct TV and I consider it to be the best of the services.

If you have digital cable you are fine as well. No need to do anything.

If you do not have digital cable call your cable comapny and ask them if there is anything you need to do or if they are addressing it on their end. There might not be anything you need to do.

If you only have analog TV you need the converter.

On the TV end of things.

Flat panels are great, we have two.

Its a misconception that all flat panels are high def. Some are high def compatible which means you need a converter or a special cable to make it high def. And some are high def ready which I think means you dont need any special equipment.

But here's the catch just because the TV is high def ready or compatible does not mean you have high def. Its a service that you have to sign up for and pay for...like a special cable tier.

Its funny but half of the people that buy TV's think they have high def and they do not know you have to pay and sign up for it.

Either way even if you dont sign up for high def service the technology of these new TVS are great and look as good as high def.

And its a great time to buy a new flat panel. Prices have never been lower and will continue to decline. Amazon and costco often have some great prices on flat panels so watch for them. Check out the vizio's. I believe that Pioneer's are very high end and Sony is overpriced as well and quality has declined. As they open more flat panel factories in Asia, the prices will fall and it becomes more commoditized. For example right now Samsung makes the majority of the glass for all the TV regardless of brands so worry less about which brand you want because its becoming parity.

And if you buy fro a best buy or circiut city they can come install it for you on the wall for a price I believe. Let someone who knows how to intall it do it because you would be very sad if it dropped while installing it or after installed.

Hope I helped.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote