View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 03:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default neck and pcs

I was sent for physiotherapy and massage to deal with the headaches that come from the bottom of the neck and roll up like someone is pulling a hood over my head. It took 8 months to get in to see neurologist after my fall that caused concussion and nobody told me that it could have anything to do with my neck but in the end it was the whiplash I guess that got the treatment not the concussion and the physio folks are wonderful. They explained that it is build up of tension the back and neck from the accident that sort of hardened. The dizziness is linked to the tension in the neck. I go twice a week and have been there for 2 months- one more to go. They use TENS machines to zap the nerves and wet heat, sometimes ultrasound on the back, neck stretching and most recently a sort of inner tube thing to stretch the neck. It has helped a lot with the tension and the headaches, but it is up to me to recognize when I feel tension coming on or headache and deal with the situations/causes.

I still have vision problems- blurriness etc and could not read for a long time-the letters bounced too much- mostly better but sometimes the contrast on charts or things with dark and light still created vision problems.

I was told to not go to chiropractor because of violent neck snaps but to try cranial sacral or something gentler.

I still get dizziness and the physio folks have a treatment for that too involving the tiny crystals on the hairs in inner ear but I have not done it yet. I find the dizzyness comes and goes- sometimes gone for months but then it comes back. Since physio though lots of the symptoms are better but I was off work for a while and worked half time for almost 8 months until I finally got referral. It still did not come from family doctor- or any treatment for that matter- she still says to just wait and see--but I would recommend getting the tension in the neck dealt with to help with the headaches that comes from back of head.

The medical community doesn't really understand post concussion and I have found very little support but there are good books and lots on the internet that helped me to stumble my way through it. I am still dealing with it 10 months later- much much better but there are days that I forget about it and do too much - do what would be considered normal to do in the past and then it creeps up again with dizziness or fatigue or memory lapse etc. I have just learned to accept that it has altered who I am and I am working on dealing with living with the new me.
neuro-angel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote