View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have the same problem with noises- not all the time but it does happen and also visual too. It has to do with the stimulation and the fact that a postconcussed brain cannot handle too much stimulation. TV can do it, walking in a mall can do it, some music too- talking etc.

It is because of the attention and concentration required. A PCS brain is struggling to pay attention and deal with basics in thinking to go through the daily activities- when you add distractors- they take the attention away from what the brain is already trying so hard to concentrate on and then basically highjack the brain. They also drain you of energy and when you only have so much cognitive energy in the first place in a bruised brain- it makes it even harder to think.

Somebody told me in passing that is was my reticular activiting system that was responsible and overreacting to outside stimulation. I did some research on that and it is interesting. That is part of brain that kids with ADD and ADHD also have problems with that causes them to get distracted. With PCS it is like having an attention deficit disorder.

I deal with it by avoiding meetings etc with lots of voices that distract. At home or in busy places like airports I wear ipod or cd walkman with quieter music to buffer the outside noise. I watch when it happens- so I know what triggers it- usually I am already overtired or have overdone it in cognitive activity that day or sometimes I just missed a meal and my brain is short on fuel. It gets better with time- now I can attend meetings again but it flares up when I don't take care of things.

It is not fault of people making the noise but it doesn't hurt to educate them too and let them know what your triggers are so they don't take your reactions personally. If you are proactive and avoid situations where you will be triggered that goes a long way. I got caught christmas shopping with the over stimulation and got confused and irritated and dizzy but then I learned to avoid the malls at certain times of day or to make shopping quick in and out to avoid the over excitement.

hope this helps
neuro-angel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote