View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update

Just thought I'd post an update. Had an ultrasound done today and a consultation with my doctor. She said I now have two fibroids, the original is 10cm (about the size of an orange) and the new one is 4 cm (about the size of a golf ball). When she originally examined me she didn't feel I would be a candidate for the robotic assisted myomectomy, but probably the traditional myomectomy. The huge difference is the first procedure is only an overnight hospital stay, 4-5 small incisions and 2-3 weeks off work. The other involves a 5”-6” bikini cut, 2-3 day hospital stay and 4-6 weeks off work. After the ultrasound she was able to get a better idea of the type of fibroids I have (subserosal) and felt confident in recommending the robotic assisted myomectomy. I also started Fibrovan the beginning of June.

Of course, my insurance considers the MR focused ultrasound treatment that I really wanted “experimental” even though it’s been approved since 2004. Basically, unless you’re a wealthy woman, this procedure is still not available to you.

My husband and I are trying desperately to renovate a house as much as we can afford in order to move in and sell our existing house. Time is of the essence as we are paying double mortgages and everything else and as DH said he can’t pack and move everything by himself and take care of me while I’m recuperating. The doctor suggested I come back in 3 months for a follow-up ultrasound and possibly schedule an MRI/surgery at that time. Hopefully the house situation will be resolved or at the very least we’re moved and I can move forward with surgery.
MSCherokee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote