Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

From the Direct TV website -

[ How do regular TV shows look on an HDTV set?

It really depends on screen size. Some standard-definition programming may look a little sharper and cleaner on your HDTV set, but more often, it looks worse. That's because all the little flaws and murkiness inherent in regular TV images become that much more obvious when blown up to larger sizes, especially when compared to crystal-clear HD channels. In addition, because SD programming has a narrow aspect ratio of 4:3, you'll see black bars on the left and right sides of the picture if you're watching on a wide-screen 16:9 set. If the black bars bother you, adjustments on all HDTVs can make 4:3 programming fill a 16:9 screen, but when doing so, they crop or distort the image.

Are HD and Digital TV the same?

All HDTV is digital, but not all Digital TV is HDTV. High Definition refers to the resolution of the video (720p, 1080i or 1080p). Digital TV means that the off-air signals are transmitted digitally (usually in ATSC) versus the older analog signals (NTSC). Digital TV broadcasts can be a mixture of standard definition and high definition programs.

26 I have the right equipment for HD, but the picture looks the same as what I'm used to—why is that?

Often people who think they're watching HD are actually watching Standard Definition. High Definition can only be experienced with all the right conditions:
(a) HD television
(b) HDMI or Component connections
(c) HD resolution settings in the receiver and TV
(d) HD receiver: DIRECTV HD receiver (model H20 or H21) or DIRECTV Plus HD DVR (model HR20 or HR 21). A BBC module must be connected to your receiver.
(e) You must be subscribed to HD Access ($9.99/mo)
(f) Tuned to an HD channel
(g) Watching a program on that HD channel that is originated in HD by the broadcaster (HD icon in program guide)
]
more info
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...420013#hd-faq2
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (07-11-2008)