Thread: Falling
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
Falling is NOT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!
Having done it several times myself during my own PN adventures, I truly don't recommend it to ANYONE!
Yes, I understand about breaking out in a sweat just at the thought of getting up and going to either the kitchen or the bathroom during the day....You really have to start to THINK and PLAN to make your triip the most effort-efficient and safest as possible. Because a serious nap is likely rite after! Two of my falls, I believe were partly due to my losing concentration about where I was was putting my feet - We are human, after all!
I suppose on the plus side? Three out of four times I fell I broke/sprained something? As a result tho, I could easily ask for and get PT ordered that can help a great deal in re-programming what nerves you've got left to help balance and get around. I've found that if you ask for exercises you can do at home, you can get more done at a pace you can best tolerate and also continue after therapy sessions end. They have been invaluable in helping me keep an 'even keel' for the duration.
The worst tho? Is the falling out of bed! Getting up is the most ungraceful thing one can imagine... Especially IF you have to be in that porcelain room about 5 minutes ago! IF you are by yourself? At least no one is around to 'witness' it! Sigh.
's - j
I have a walker by each chair. When I rise I grab the walker and hold on
until I know I am stabalized. Then I feel secure in walking. But I do my
share of wall walking and holding on to furniture etc. At 78 I cannot afford
to break a hip. Blessings to all of you!!
JRC000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote