Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeb View Post
Not sure is Mrs D is still around - but I cannot have novacaine at all (affects my heart and then fun trip to ER)..... I have tried the lidocaine patch a couple of times - each time had a reaction after wearing for a max time of only maybe 1/2 an hour - I cut off the adhesive thinking that might be it - didnt matter - got very red, sweaty, heart racing, etc with the patch and tape and had to rip that off tooo... the doc told me same thing - to stop asap... as there might have been some cross reactions....

Also, the first time I had the novacaine reaction was after years of novacaine shots at the dentist - the started out of nowhere - so reactions etc can start at any time.....
Hmmmm... I wonder how you cut off that adhesive? On Lidoderms it is everywhere---not just on an edge. That is why you can cut them, etc. The lidocaine is IN the adhesive which covers 100% of the patch area.

The "novocaine" used in the dentist's office is a mixture of
lidocaine and epinephrine. The epi, is hard to take. I started to have palpitations from it when I turned 50. The epi allows for better numbing by preventing the lidocaine from being absorbed by the body. The non epi containing version does not work well for me, so I found a solution: I take a beta blocker before I go, and I don't get the reaction. Epinephrine is adrenaline, and very cardio-stimulating.

When I first started the Lidoderms I did get some heart pounding. But it was minimal and did not continue. So far after years of use, I have no problem. (but then I don't try to use more than one patch at a time---even tho the directions say up to 3/ 12 hr period).

Quote:
When Lidoderm is used according to the recommended dosing instructions, only 3 ± 2% of the dose applied is expected to be absorbed. At least 95% (665 mg) of lidocaine will remain in a used patch. Mean peak blood concentration of lidocaine is about 0.13 µg/mL (about 1/10 of the therapeutic concentration required to treat cardiac arrhythmias). Repeated application of three patches simultaneously for 12 hours (recommended maximum daily dose), once per day for three days, indicated that the lidocaine concentration does not increase with daily use. The mean plasma pharmacokinetic profile for the 15 healthy volunteers is shown in Figure 1.
So it is important not to use longer than 12 hrs... or constant lidocaine absorption may occur. Also proper disposal to keep children and pets away from them, is important.

People with pre-existing cardiac conduction problems,perhaps should be monitored closely by the doctor.
Here is a good monograph on the subject:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/lidoderm.html

I personally have not had any skin or other side effects from the Lidoderm patch. I find them a Godsend really.
The only downside is that they don't adhere well. So sometimes I have to tape over them.

You know the literature says, burning, stinging on application may occur. I have NEVER had that.
I think the patches are COLD... and when I apply them to my back they feel like ICE CUBES!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote