View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you so much for responding! Wow! You're @ 60mg. every other day? My doc hopes to wean me to 40 mg. every other day - I also don't understand why we just can't take 20-30 mg. every day versus the BIG dose every other day.......... These steroids have made me blow up like a balloon in my face and stomach, plus I now have acne and facial hair - sexy - but am also truly thankful for them cuz' they did save my life......I know it sounds silly, but it hurts my feelings when I go out in public and people who have known me for years no longer recognize me - I didn't think it was that bad. The night sweats and panic attacks are the worst for me. I wake up just drenched - do you have any of these side effects? Oh, and the MOOD SWINGS! Good lord! Those are awful!
I started on 50 mg yesterday per my doc and know that it's a step in the right direction, but get so scared thinking I
am going to feel like I used to - - you know the feeling - - afraid to go to sleep cause you don't know if you're going to wake up, being unable to walk, talk, swallow, or even breathe. MG really did a number on me. Have you had a thymectomy? Are you on Mestinon as well? When were you diagnosed with MG? I'm sorry about all the questions, but this is such a rare disease and I'm still so confused about the whole thing, though very, very grateful that my docs were able to contain it and keep me relatively healthy. It's just hard sometimes, because this darn disease always keeps me guessing - I never know how I'm going to feel the next day and for a control freak, perfectionist like me that's hard. I do have great doctors who are vigilant about my health and for that I'm grateful. Take care and let me know how you are doing! Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots Kat View Post
Hi Erin,
I was on 60mg of pred daily, but now I'm down to 60 mg every second day. I'm not sure why my neuro suggested weaning me off the drug that way instead of minimizing my daily dose - but I just do what I'm told! I have noticed LOADS of ridiculous side effects from the steriods, mostly superficial, but never had any problems with blood work. Well, no more problems than before I guess. I've always had tricky veins so I also usually end up looking a bit like a "junky" as you so aptly put it! My side-effects haven't stopped yet (which is disappointing because i really hoped my moon face would be gone for the summer) but I think they are getting a little better.

I would still take all the stupid superficial problems though and be able to walk!! I'm so much stronger than I was a few months ago! And as much as I hate the steriods, I also love them - they made me able to function independently again.

All the best with your treatment!
~Kathy
erinhermes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote