View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 02:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmom View Post
Wow, that is unreal! I had the option of the insurance through my employer and I pay less for family coverage than the Avonex costs. Are you close to being able to get Medicare Vic? I'd definitely drop the insurance then if I were you.

Since my MS dx we double insure through my DH's employer and mine - my DH's employer is self insured and they gave us all sorts of issues with the Avonex price. Since I took the plan through my employer there hasn't been any issues, I have a $50 copay.
Since I can pay for my own insurance I do not feel that it would be appropriate to get any forms of assistance ...yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
I read your first response to imply that perhaps your insurance company is not paying the total cost of your drugs . . . that you are being subsidized in some other way. I thought that was the case, because I seemed to recall something about Biogen agreeing to subsidize some of the Tysabri a few months ago...?

But you are saying you are paying about $100,000 a year in insurance?

How can anyone possibly afford that?

Why so much, because you joined up after your dx?

Cherie
Biogen has not come through with the "promise" ...yet.

I do not pay $100,000 per year for insurance, but rather about 1/3 of that for my medical care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
For me, the point is moot, since I'm on Retirement SS, now. But I paid for Private Family Health Ins Coverage untill I was 62 and then Single Cov, at around 1,000,00 per month, unill I went on Medicare, at 65.

For the last few years of that, I had no income, except SS (I retired at 62), but I had assets...booooooo....and didn't have enough work credits to apply for SSDI. What can I say...I was between a rock and a hard place.

I guess what I'm saying is that, there should be some kind of a reprieve for those, like me, who fall through the cracks between poverty and okie dokie..

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't, Vic.....KWIM?
It is a tough position to be in,..., no doubt about it.
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote