View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinhermes View Post
I was recently diagnosed with MG (March 6th) and underwent a thymectomy on April 22nd. Since my diagnosis, I have been on steroids (between 60-80 Mg a day) and have noticed that blood work is now a BIG ISSUE! Now for most people this isn't a big thing, but I'm EXTREMELY afraid of blood work and my veins just stop giving blood! When I do have blood work (monthly),I look like a junkie with big track marks. Has anyone else experienced this? I just don't understand why this is happening! I used to be able to have blood work done with no problems, so I'm assuming it's the steroids. I also had a PICC line put in and still experience pain/pressure at the site, and can actually FEEL the blood pumping harder at the site - it scares me a little. Any information would be great. I know steroids are a necessary evil, and I know that I'll probably be on them for at least a year, but am hoping that some of the side effects go away as my dosage is reduced.........

Steroids are both wonderful and horrible at the same time. First time I got them, I started with 120 mg. a day and had no side effects at all for 3-4 months - the doctors could hardly believe their eyes. Then suddenly in 14 days time I gained 20 kg. (44 lbs) and my head looked like a balloon. As I got further down in dosis it helped, but it only went totally away after I had weaned out of it (which took me 2 years).

Later I have had times where I have taken a smaller dose (10-15 mg). The side effects haven't been as bad then (slight weight gain, a bit moon-faced), but last time I got them (½ year ago) my emotions got totally messed up. Every night I would go into hysterics for no reason at all - I simply had no control, so I weaned out of them again. Currently I'm not taking any.
The only thing I can say about steroids when I think of my experiences is that they are absolutely unpredictable.

When it comes to blood work I haven't really thought of the steroids as having any influence. Sometimes my veins stops giving blood aswell, but that is usually when it's a not-as-skilled person (like a doctor ) that takes the blood. The nurses and lab-people are much better. I've also always been told to press really hard on the spot where the blood was taken from, right after they pull the needle out. It lessens the risk of getting huge bruises.

And on a sidenote: When I was first time admitted to the hospital for something really serious 12 years ago, I was dead scared of needles. Today I can look at it all without any problems. Trust me - you will get more and more used to it.
Snifhvide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote