View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default There are times when that autonomic aspect....

sort of spreads. I mean that the muscles surrounding the injured area are working overtime to compensate. If it is a severe spasm, varying degrees of acupressure can be a great relief if you start gently, increasing pressure to the areas OUTSIDE the worst pain region and work your way along the muscles in..pressure being that tolerable but not painful. Press & release -to determine comfort pressures, put your fingertip to your closoed eye until it almost hurts. That's the hardest you should ever begin with on affected areas. Work around the area, then work in.
I'd first learned this while a kid from a semi-pro athelete, ages later, I learned it in relation to large animals. I've found it works, it's non-invasive, and, you can do it to yourself [unless it's in the middle of your back].
A good book that you can get on Amazon called 'Oh, My Aching Back, by Leon Root', provides a thorough explanation on all those muscles. It's kind of a period piece, but, you'd have to read it to appreciate it.
The point is, once muscles go into spasm, it's essential to break that 'programming'! All those muscles are connected and by breaking their compensating efforts, you can release all the core tensions. As for finding a therapist that can do it all, that's a luck and gut instinct thing.
Hope this all helps! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote