View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm getting the permanent implant this Friday! Had the trial, worked great til morning of last day, when it moved and lost contact. Dr. is going to insert the leads one level down so there is better contact - just pray he has no problems getting into the epidural space!

I have full-body RSD and TOS, been through 2 TOS surgeries which made the RSD much worse, tried the Lidocaine IV treatment and had a reaction to it, did well with the Ketamine IV treatment, but wore off after 5 months and remaing booster treatment did nothing, plus insurance co. refused to pay, AFTER I went through with the treatment.

So I'm out of options and reallllyyyy tired of the pain, I trust my Dr and he's had great success with the Advanced Bionics SCS for the upper body. (Lower he always goes with Medtronics cause it has the most power). I slept like a BABY during the trial, got the first real sleep I've had since injured, the kind that leaves you refreshed and with energy. My arms were almost pain-free and I could cope with my other pain. Overall I'd say I was a 3 and I haven't been at a 3 for more than 3 years.

So I'm taking a shot at it - his sucess rate is 85%, so it's worth taking, even though I'm a little trickier than most. I go in at 12:30 Friday, wish me luck!

If you haven't exhausted all options or don't feel your pain is more than you can bear with meds, exercise, relaxation techniques and/or what have you, then you might think deeply whether you need the SCS at this particular time - I know I resisted the idea until it became it became fairly clear this was the next step. If this fails I will likely get the pain pump, but my Dr and I agree we want to try this first!

Best wishes on your decision,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote