View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Beth, if you "feel" unfairly pointed out that is your perception, not my intentions as I would have posted to anyone's thread if they said the same thing.

You may have never said not to move the arm at all, (which I didn't say you did) but you did say the more you do the more scar tissue will form. Which is not correct in any medical books. All docs tell patients post op any surgery, orthopedic/arm or leg or whatever type where it may form to start PT right away to avoid this happening.

Even in the information you gave out in that link states this " Scar tissue that forms after surgery, usually does so in the first couple of weeks. Adhesions rarely form months or years after surgery." This is why it is so important to move and not just sit.

I have seen here in this forum where many have told others that post op, you need someone to "take care of them" wash hair, shower, bath, dress, get easy shirts to open, make meals open doors. Many were told to get a brace or sling for post op, when walking and for many other reasons. Wheelchairs in airports, helpers, ect. All of this equals not much movement if any in one's arms. Any type of any little movement helps just like PT does.

No one said go out and pitch a ball game. But you do have to move no matter how little, which I agree with you.

You also said in your last post, " I don't believe my information is really wrong, unless you want to split hairs." All your information was not wrong. But the one statement about "the more you move the more scar tissue will form" was not correct. No one would intentionally give out wrong advice here, but when it is pointed out to anyone, they should at least correct themselves and not worry about justifying what they said as "splitting hairs" when peoples health is involved.

My reason for pointing this information out is STRICKLY from a medical point. I guess that's the difference between actually working in health care VS not.

Sorry you took it the way you did, but I can't change your perceptions of what you think others are saying.
bettertoser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote